Applied Private Music Instruction for
UGA Students for Academic Credit
- All levels accepted—beginners welcome
- All band/orchestra instruments are offered, as well as classical voice, piano, classical guitar
- Earn UGA Academic Credit (1 hr. per semester) for 13 30-minute private lessons and additional instruction seminars. Courses may be repeated for a maximum of 4 credit hours in each course.
- Instructors are qualified UGA faculty and UGA teaching assistants in music.
- Students will be assigned to a teacher by the Community Music School staff about 1-week before lessons begin each semester.
- Following this assignment, lesson times will be arranged individually to meet your academic schedule.
- You must own, rent, or have access to your own instrument. (Athens-area businesses selling or renting musical instruments)
- Grades are assigned based on lesson attendance, practice time (minimum 3 hrs/week), and progress.
- Practice rooms are available on a limited schedule in the Hodgson School of Music Building; it is best if you have access to your own practice facilities
- The fee for these lessons is NOT covered by HOPE Scholarships, and cannot be paid through Student Accounts. Full payment via credit card using the link above is the first step in registering for the course.
- Important: remember that we need the card owner's name and address along with credit card information. This must be the name of the person who registered the card, and the address where the bills are received.
- Students can register for the lessons through the Add/Drop period each semester. Refunds will not be given once the Add/Drop period is over.
MUSI 1700 is private music instruction for UGA students in their 1st through 2nd year of undergraduate studies.
MUSI 3700 is private music instruction for UGA students in their 3rdthrough 5th year of undergraduate studies.
These private music lessons are offered through the UGA Community Music School, which includes a lesson charge of $338 for the semester. You must register in two ways: first by clicking "Yes" above and following the registration steps for the Community Music School (including paying the fee), and second through Athena for the UGA credit after receiving an email confirmation that you have been cleared to do so.