Overview of Program
The Musical Theatre Certificate Program will be open only to students pursuing an undergraduate major (AB, BFA, or B.Mus) in Theatre, Music, or Dance, and is designed to supplement and build on the curricula of those majors. Certificate courses in the student’s major department will also count toward the students’ AB, BFA, or B.Mus degree, and consequently the Certificate program will require that a student take between 10 and 17 hours beyond the requirements of their major.
Students will audition for the program for a panel comprising at least one representative from each area of Dance, Music, and Theatre. The audition will consist of one short monologue, and two contrasting 32 bar songs (each cut should be about a minute) from the Broadway Musical repertoire. They will also prepare a short statement of purpose and submit a headshot and resume. Once accepted into the program a student will work with their academic advisor to make certain they are meeting all requirements.
Once accepted in the program, classes require a passing grade of at least a B to successfully complete the program. We anticipate that demand for the program will be very high and the number of slots will be very limited, and to ensure that the program can accommodate the most dedicated and qualified students, students applying for the program must have at least a 3.0 GPA
Audition Materials and Forms
When completed please label all your files with your first name_last name _title of doc_ (George_contini_headshot). Put all files in a folder and send a link to the folder to Professor George Contini at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Statement of Purpose—In 100 words or less please express your rationale for gaining the certificate and how it aligns with your professional and academic goals.
- Headshot and Performance Resume—Please submit a jpg (no bigger than 1MB) of your headshot and a copy of your performance resume. While you are not required to have professional headshots, your photo should align to industry standards, be well lit, and sized 8 x 10. Resumes should be formatted as per professional acting resume templates.
- Completed and Signed Application
- Copy of Unofficial transcript
- Recommendation Form
- To signup for an audition slot: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b4ca5ad2fa6f85-musical
For more information about the Certificate, please contact Michael Hadary.